Monday, September 22, 2008

Rider Profile - Karen Field




What type of bike do you ride?
Trek 2500 I think - she is baby blue.



What would be your dream bike?
One that goes fast!...a nice light one with carbon fibre and AYUP lights. Don't know all the techo stuff so can't even indicate a preferred brand.

What's your day job?
Environmental Engineer / Environmental Consultant.

What's your favourite ride?
tough question - any ride in a scenic area with minimal motorised traffic.
Narrowing it down to usual rides the M1 bunch does around Gladstone, my favourite is out via the Taragoola Road. Going further a field, did a road ride in the Gold Coast Hinterland/Tweed Valley last year, route taken was going up to Springbrook on Springbrook Road (10km climb I think) to the intersection to Pine Creek Road - that steep road that drops down into the Numinbah Valley. The road along Numinbah Valley is Nerang-Murwillumbah Road crossing the border into NSW with the obligatory coffee stop at Murwillumbah. We went inland from Murwillumbah to Burleigh Heads to our departure location at a friend's place it was about 100km circuit. Check out the following website for the map.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Coffee-Crawlers-Broadbeach-Numinbah-Valley-Murwillumbah-Broadbea

What's your most memorable biking experience?
The road ride I did in 2007 on the day of the local road race from Calliope to Biloela. I didn't participate in the race, but I rode from Gladstone to Biloela - it was the first time I believed that I was capable of riding long distances.

What's your least memorable biking experience?
Any time I am subject to verbal abuse from morons in cars.

Who are the bike riders you admire the most?
Famous bike riders that I don't know - Cadel Evans
Out of the bike riders that I do know personally - Michael England, Prue Oswin and Peter Salisnew

Number of years riding?
Been riding about 2 years - started on a borrowed friend's road bike (Prue's bike) for the first 5 months before I bought the trek.